Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kristy vs. Wedding Industrial Complex


Every woman has at some point thought of what they wanted as their wedding day. I've have been very influenced by wedding shows on television, bridal magazines, and popular blogs. But these media outlets have actually turned me against the Wedding Industry.


Well, to be honest the pimping of linens and favors has 50% to do with my thoughts of what I want for our wedding. The other 50% has to do with the irresponsibility of spending money on those unneeded "Necessities". At this point I'm (me not Erik) looking at church mice and thinking that they are wealthy, so there is no way in hell that I'll be thinking of personalized napkins or notebooks that people will throw away. Seriously, 200 dinner paper napkins go for about $37.90. PAPER NAPKINS!!!!! Really? Do we honestly have to have these things? That's $40 that I could put toward more yummy food or tasty beverages for people to drink.


Here's another money sucker, unity candles. The center pillar candle if you purchase from a bridal retailer will burn your wallet for $25 to $80. The taper candles will run around $10 to $25 for the pair. Now here is where they get you, the holder will on set you back $25 to $125. So, the money spent on a tradition that was reportedly started on The Young and the Restless in the mid-70's will be $60 to $230. I'm not spending any of my soon to be hard earned cash on a dramatic waste of time from a soap opera that was silly. Everyone knows the real stories are on ABC.


I admit that WIC has already stolen some of my pennies. I have bought one wedding magazine (InStyle Weddings) and one fabric swatch. Not surprisingly both items have already been thrown away and I now want my eight dollars back. However, now that I can buy Martha Stewart Weddings without feeling guilty and weird, I'm going to buy every one that comes out until I get married. I love that magazine.

And I do watch bridal television with a tiny bit of yearning, but those over the top bank busting parties aren't who Erik and I are. We're backyard barbecues and ice cream in the summer folks. Bonfires and marshmallow in the autumn people.


Laid back.



Yeah, Laid back. That's what we're going to have.

3 comments:

gary said...

What you call a wedding industrial complex, I call a company that employs 40 hardworking people...all happy to have a job...that personalizes napkins/matches etc. for weddings. Sounds like you have a very small budget, if spending an additional $40 on food is more important, than it's probably right for you.

Unknown said...

You have not read my profile. I was one of the thousands of people who sell "The Perfect Day" to thousands of brides. And, frankly it was the most misserable job I have ever had. And I did it for eight years. Day after day of watching women have panic attacks or hissyfits over colors and buttons. So, no I don't find stamped napkins or cheap over priced pilar candles something that will complete my "Perfect Day".
Now, these are my thoughts. There are thounsands of women who do think that such items are important, I'm just not one of them. It doesn't have anything to do with my budget (which is none of anyone's business) and everything to do with the fact that I know all about the other side of the industry.

*Serendipity* said...

I completely agree with you Kristy! When Brian and I got married, we went with the things that "we" wanted. All napkins do is get used, and then thrown away.... a candle burns for 10 minutes, then gets blown out.... that's why we went with the sand idea - it was my favorite!!! I could give you a million money saving ideas. I think we only ended up spending $2000 total on out wedding, and that was for EVERYTHING, my dress, guys clothes, decorations, flowers, food, music - now-a-days that amoutn of money would be considered a poor persons wedding lol BUT, it was our perfect day and we loved everything about it!

I honestly think whatever you guys choose to do will be perfect. It's your guys' day! No one is going to care about anything but you two ;-) At least, that's how I feel.